22 May 2015

Question...curious minds and all..

Good morning lovely bloggers, as u know I love hand stitching I really do , I would like to ask all of u that hand appliqué...what is your favorite method. Do u use freezer paper, or needle turn as u go-which is the current wAy I do it, do u use glue? Or.. Have u ever done the underneath or back basting method of appliqué. Do u use a vinyl overlay? Or do u just eyeball it? My last block I am trying to do does not look anything like the pattern so I am going to draw a vinyl overlay to see if I can get it more precise. I m not a perfectionist but something about this last block bothers me. See previous post and u will see what I mean.... So tell me if u have a chance what is your favorite way?. Many happy hugs Mary

6 comments:

  1. Mary, if your background is light enough, you can trace the design onto the background using a Frixion pen. The marks will disappear with heat. If you don't have a pattern that has a layout you can trace from, I have already traced the parts to freezer paper to iron to my fabrics for the applique parts. I take those paper shapes and trace around them onto a big piece of tracing paper and then use that for my layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I never took freezer paper and traced onto tracing paper...wow that's a great idea...I have used freezer paper and I have used fusible interfacing to trace onto but can get costly...will try your way. Thank u Karen...I am going to
    To try this back basting appliqué method....If I can figure it out..lol. Wink wink, I'll let u know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've tried freezer paper, also the clear overlay, needleturn...i like needleturn best but sometimes one of the other methods is better for a particular project...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love needleturn and usually keep the freezer paper on top as I stitch. I use backbasting for larger pieces but find using starch or glue to preturn to tedious. For placement I use a light box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so interesting to see how you ladies appliqué...great tips. Thank u all for commenting😎

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tried back basting on my When The Cold Winds Blows block and it was really easy surprisingly!!!😌😊

    ReplyDelete